Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Money, money, money...

Who was it who said, "Money isn't a problem if you have a lot of it."

Ugh. Right now my husband and I are trying to figure out how to deal with some debt and make better financial choices. This is never a conversation that I like to have. I was raised with a pretty comfortable lifestyle, one that definitely didn't require me to be independent financially (and maybe even discouraged it).

So it was definitely a shock to be living on not just one, but two teachers' salaries and also go to grad school--a great thing professionally, but a real setback financially (don't I wish that schools would pay for a PhD like some companies pay for an MBA!).

My first instinct is head-in-the-sand avoidance, but apparently, as one of two grown-ups in a (relatively) equal partnership (can you ever get them to actually see dirt?), I am trying to figure a more productive reaction.

No, I didn't scour the house for chocolate (although I thought about it!). Instead, I decided to go for a walk.

What a difference it made in my mindset. Instead of being completely panicky, now I'm only partly panicky! The rest of me agrees with my husband that we can get through this together.

But I still wish we'd win the lottery.

1 comment:

  1. Financial woes are never fun, but you are blessed to have a partner that can weather the storm with you. I hope you are calm and at peace, and if not now, I hope you will be soon. Everything happens for a reason, and hopefully you'll know the reason soon. Best wishes!

    Jennifer K.
    web.me.com/aggiekesler/myjourneyabroad

    ReplyDelete